Monday, September 15, 2008

Speaking of Peace...

Isn't that what we ultimately want?














When that relationship that we want to work so badly...doesn't.

When we wanted so much for our child to choose a good education over a mediocre job...and they didn't.

When we want a certain amount of money to go into a project or ministry...and it isn't there.

When we want a slice of pecan pie from a favorite restaurant, but all they have left is cherry pie...which you hate.

Peace.

It's most definitely what makes my life bearable in the moments that I think I can't take another smarty response from one of my kids. Or when I come upon some huge mess that one of my precious children has left behind. And when I have a busy week in which I've got so many errands to run that I want to just give up, not doing ONE of them!

God's peace.

The kind that passes all understanding.

Guess where it comes from? GOD! How can you obtain it? By spending time with Him!

This morning, as my girls were watching a video in the mudroom/office area, I decided to sit outside and wait on my friend Erica (we carpool) to arrive. It's her week to drop the kids off at school in the morning.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
As I enjoyed the morning, I was moved to grab my camera. How do you capture peace on a camera?!!! It was incredibly peaceful. A soft breeze was blowing. The leaves rustled gently on the trees. The puffy clouds rolled by...on to their next appointed place. And in the cool of the morning, I was at peace. And because it's God's peace, I'm still enjoying it!

God's peace is reassuring. God's peace is lasting. God's peace is what our soul longs for. And nothing can ever measure up to that peace. His peace brings us to a state of mind that nothing else can.

.
.
.
.
.
When I was pregnant with Scarlett, I desperately needed His peace. I've needed it many times in my life. In fact, I need it everyday. And He doesn't disappoint me, if I settle down and listen to Him.
.
Back to Scarlett...









.
After taking the tests that you go through somewhere in week # 16 (specifically known as the "AFP" test), you will only receive a call from the DR's office if there is a problem. Back in 2002, that 16th week was ushering in the Christmas season. My DR called to inform me that one of the test had come back with devastating results. Scarlett most likely suffered from Down's Syndrome. I hung up the phone in complete shock. Then came the despair over realizing that my baby might not be normal. Over the next 5 months, I suffered in heartache. We chose not to take an amniocentesis (one of the most accurate tests to determine if there is a problem with the fetus), because the risk of miscarriage was higher than we were willing to risk.
.
Over the course of that pregnancy, when I would be so overwhelmed with heartache (and believe me...it does feel like your heart is breaking), my Lord was always there to comfort me. The peace would come in various ways...my Pastor, Dr. Joe Brown, would arrive at the North campus of Hickory Grove Baptist Church (where I worked), and would greet people...coming over to me to take my hand, lay his forehead on my shoulder and pray. Friends would encourage me with prayer, and one day, my Sherry even told me that if anyone could handle raising a baby with Downs, it was me. Nobody ever made light of the situation, but they did encourage me. Through their prayers and words,

God brought me peace.









During that pregnancy, I also experienced a different heartache...



part 2 coming up...

No comments: