Tuesday, September 2, 2008

An "A" For Effort?


This past couple of weeks have been a bluuuuuuur. While I've enjoyed some wonderful and exciting events and even better company, I must say that I'm ready to settle down! Anyone who knows me, knows I LOVE my daily routine. In fact, I rarely step out of that routine. In my routine, I'm safe, secure, and content. I can move at a leisurely pace (if you call doing 3+ loads of laundry per day, dishes, vaccuming, cooking, and running after Luke...leisurely!!!!). No pressure.

And minimal effort to step outside my comfort zone. In fact, if I was honest, I'd have to say on a lot of days, there is NO effort to step outside my comfort zone. Not even to take advantage of the free homemade applebutter that my neighbor (yes, we have neighbors within walking distance in "them thar hills"!) has offered. Not even to get the mail at the end of my driveway. Not even to visit the "pis" or "peep" (better known as pigs & sheep).
Just my comfortable routine, which includes lots of interaction with my almost 2 year old. We enjoy a 20-30 minute playtime on my king size bed every morning. I steal his pacy, and he claws my lips to get it back. I steal his lovey, and he screams at me to get it back. I tickle and he squeals. He crawls on me, and I knock him down onto the soft covers. He scoots under the covers, and I try to find him. I like that time with him. I actually LOVE that time with him! I put lots of effort into playing and bonding with Luke.

In my comfortable routine, there is plenty of time for me to put some good effort into my relationship with Christ. Do I take advantage of that? Sometimes. The passion that God has laid on my heart for this upcoming MOPS year, and what I'll be speaking on in our September meeting, is the family. How we all need to slow down and make time to be at home. But at the same time, let me stress that in doing so, we MUST put a lot of effort into the relationships we have within our family. And we must put forth the effort in our relationship with Christ.

What good is there in being at home with our family, if we simply shove the kids outside for most of that time? How strong is our relationship with Christ, if we only talk to Him when we feel like it? Let's just THROW DOWN, here...

I'm a big promoter in the belief that moms need time to themselves. BUT, just like that big 'ole box of wheat thins that you love (sundried tomato is THE SNACK OF THE YEAR!!!!), too much of a good thing turns into worthless fat. We must pray and ask God to show us ways to bond with our family. I'm good at bonding with Luke. But I seriously have to work on bonding with the other 4 kids. I can do the preschool age, blindfolded with my headphones on, but it's harder when they get older. They start to develop taste of their own and desires of their own. And some of those may be B-O-R-I-N-G to you! But if your family is going to bond, you've got to indulge those kiddies in some things they enjoy. And that may mean playing Barbies with them. It might possibly mean painting toenails or heading to Starbucks (Summerlyn's thing!). It could mean throwing yourself into a game of Mall Madness or Apples to Apples. And it could be that you'll have to sit in the same room with your teenager and just read your own book (Tyler). Now, THAT'S one I can handle for sure!!!!!

So what if God asks you to read a chapter from your Bible?
You may think it's the most boring chapter IN the Bible. But can you be still for 10 minutes and read it? God will honor your effort. He will change the desires of your heart. You might find that you actually LIKE Barbies...brushing their hair, etc. Starbucks is expensive, but an invaluable experience for your pre-teen to go with Mom for a peppermint mocha. And there are plenty of great games that you could enjoy, and that your younger kids would have fun playing! Sequence is a favorite in our home.

Remember that putting forth the effort to keep your home clean, produces the same results as putting some effort into your relationship with God...a true clean home & heart...a place of rest and security.

And so many blessings that you'll have to think up a new game just to count them!

No comments: