Friday, January 23, 2009

TALK ABOUT LIVING!!!

God convicted me today. Softly...gently...but firmly. I needed to attend Grandparents Day at Savannah's school. My husband said so...my Mom encouraged me to. Since Mom normally goes to the girls Grandparents Day at school, I've never considered going. And Nana & Granddaddy live in another state, so I've felt like it's a fairly long haul for them to come and spend 1/2 hour. That will likely change next year (so get ready Nana & Granddaddy!!!).

You gotta understand my hesitation...but if you don't, let me explain. When their school has a program, they normally combine 2 grades. And that calls for a looooong program and a huge crowd of people. I love people, but not in a huge crowd. They tend to be rude and loud. And it makes me sweat...unless of course, it's an organized crowd...like church. Maybe an NFL game where everybody has assigned seats...you get my drift.

So the only programs we've ever been to at their school, have been hysterically long (over an hour), and so crowded that a lot of people wind up standing up. Makes me sweat to reminisce, so let's move on...

"I just don't feel like dragging Luke out and controlling him for one of those school programs" I griped to my Mom this morning, "He's 2 you know..."

"I know, I know. I feel awful that Savannah's upset about me not being there." Mom said, as she rested comfortably, (safely) 2 1/2 hours away at her house in NC.

"Dean wants me to go, but he doesn't understand that I'm with the kids 24/7...he's the one that needs to go!" I griped on, "You know how much I hate those programs! They go on & on & on..."

"Wait!" Mom stopped me, "This is the Grandparents Day program, Carmen!" she went on, "Those programs are designed for grandparents, and they only last 10 minutes, tops!"

"Really?" My hopes sank. I was going to wind up going to the program. I could hear God whispering it to me. And I was out of excuses!

"Yeah, they don't drag out the Grandparents program because grandparents just can't sit there for a long program!" Mom said.

We got off the phone with me not comitting to a thing, and her telling me to let her know what I wound up doing.

I wasn't thrilled, but felt God pressing on my heart. He was gently pressing me. So I gave in.

Luke & I got ready and drove over to the school. Wouldn't you know there was a parking place right near the door? God is just like that! As we walked in, I started getting apprehensive. All these grandparents...a crowd, but not 'standing room only', as I thought there would be. And when I picked Luke up to step onto the bleachers, a tall & fairly strong "grandpa" grabbed my hand to help me!

Real funny, Lord!

But he & his wife were kind and helpful. And of course, my sweet little 2 year old was perfect. In fact, he got real excited when he saw his sister.

"Vanna, Vanna!" he yelled as he waved his hand.

'Vanna' ate it up! And so did I...

So she did her thing, and then we went to McDonald's (Meme usually does Chilis with all 3 girls, but she is loaded and I'm not!), then to Aubrey's for dessert. Savannah truly enjoyed herself, as did Luke, and secretly (of course), I was thrilled! I told Savannah how special she is.

On the way home, Savannah told me that while she was laying in her bed last night, after we said night-night prayers, she asked God to let Daddy come to her program today. I told her that was GREAT and that God had answered her prayer...just with a different parent than she expected. She hesitated a minute and replied,


"Yeah, He kind of switched things around"


I took that opportunity to teach her how God does what He knows is best for us, which is not always what we think we want.

All THAT and a new lamb!!!

God will pack our days
with His blessings if we let Him!
He opens up the opportunities for us to live life to the fullest...for us to have abundant life!
Meet 'Tyler'...

bleat, bleat, bleat...

Meme's first grandson...
"blessing" number EIGHT!!!

2 comments:

On The Lake said...

I am so LAUGHING on the one hand and so SAD on the other that Savannah had a melt-down last night over MeMe not being in Tennessee to go to Grandparent's Day @ school... and of course our "traditional" feast @ Chili's afterward. I hope you've told our Vanna that MeMe is getting the homeplace ready for our next TEA PARTY/Pajama PARTY in a few months in NC, so she HAS to be in NC right now.

What good times we've had @ Grandparent's Day at their school these past years! I'm so sorry I missed it today.
Love, Mom/MeMe

On The Lake said...

P.S. I feel so honored to have a Jones sheep named for me.... and that she has a first grandchild named Tyler (of course).