Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Tiny Blessings

Brrr! It's cold outside! This 34 degree weather is cold to the average East Tennessean.

As I was driving along this morning, I couldn't help but be thankful. I dropped the gang off at Copper Ridge, and headed into town to take baby Luke to the doctor. He received his 12 month old shots at the ripe old age of 23 months! You're welcome to call it "slack" on his Mother's part!!! We had made several appointments this time last year, but he had a cold or an ear infection, etc...and they don't like to administer the shots if the baby is not feeling good.

So we got to Dr. Teaster's office and checked in.
The nurse weighed and measured my little doll, and he's in the 25% of kids his age. He's small. Dr. Teaster came in to examine him for his 2 year check-up, which they decided to go ahead and do today (maybe they figured they wouldn't see us again until he's 3!!!), and Luke didn't want anything to do with him OR the nurse. Could he have possibly known what was in his future? That they would stick him in the finger and in the legs? Hmmm...
Anyway, Doc said that Luke is growing, and as long as he stays in the 25% or higher, he's healthy and fine. He does have the beginnings of an ear infection, but it's not bad and he is now on antibiotic.

Back to the thankful part.

As I was coming home with my precious little package, I had to reflect on where I thought I'd be a couple of years back. I was planning on having my days all alone. Maybe I would work part-time. Maybe I would take a class somewhere. Maybe...

Never in my wildest dreams was I thinking that I'd be an almost 39 year old woman with a 2 year old...boy. I was done with all that! Done with diaper duty. Done with teething and slobbering. Done with fussy little people. Done.

But God had another plan. I had no idea, but He knew. He knew what He would call me to do next. He knew there was a special job that I was to begin when I left my wonderful job at church on December 25th, 2005. During Spring Break 2006, I discovered at least part of that plan, when I realized that I was pregnant. Our lives were getting ready to change again! Another baby! And as I spent the next 9 months struggling with what this experience was supposed to bring to our family and to my own daily life, God was moving in a big way. Preparing me. Preparing us.


Then came MOPS! And the rest is being lived out as I type! But not only did God call up a new and inspiring ministry in my life, He gave me this little person. This little "dude" that I wasn't at all sure I would enjoy as much as my other children, because after all...I've got FOUR other children...and who has anything left after caring for THAT MANY KIDS???!!!

The "dude" is Thomas Luke, and he has brought so much more than I imagined to our family. He has kept me going on mornings when I didn't want to get out of bed. Mornings when I felt so overwhelmed that I wanted to crawl underneath the mattress and turn into a greasy spot. He has pounced on me, slobbered on me, and pulled my hair! He has demanded my attention.
.
And gotten it!


He's precious. And I am so thankful that God gave him to us. I'm thankful that I have a big 'ole warm Suburban for him to ride in, and to take the gang to school in. I'm thankful that we can afford the gas to drive it. I'm thankful that Dr. Teaster is a good and trustworthy doctor. I'm thankful for a neighbor who is "real"...she doesn't pretend to be fine when she's not. I'm thankful that I have the opportunity to help her the way she always helps others. I'm thankful for my older son, who is so helpful w/our family, & who I know is there for me (I'm always here for you, too, Ty...I'm wrapped!). I'm thankful for my 3 daughters who make the days interesting in a way that only girls can do! I'm thankful that I'm not pressed for time today or any day. I'm thankful that I have my time at home for Luke and for myself, so I can be better prepared to serve my family the way that they need (I'm not perfect, mind you, but I do serve them). I'm thankful that my kids can come home and have that time together at home before dinner and bedtime. And I'm thankful for my husband who supports this lifestyle.

And we don't have a complicated lifestyle at all. Most of you know by now, that my husband either pays cash or we do without. And yes, I'm thankful for that.

I'm just wondering as I sit here, how many times are we truly thankful for the basic necessities God provides for us? There are so many who struggle with the basics. Some by their own bad choices and some are not as fortunate as the average person.

We are doing, as Dave Ramsey says, "better than we deserve".

As we celebrate Thanksgiving next week, we should realize that this season isn't the only time for us to be thankful. God gives to us all year! And the next time He touches your heart while you're driving into town...or out to eat...or to Grandma's house...maybe you should say thank You to the One who has given the most.

And thank You to the One who has given the tiniest of blessings...

1 comment:

Connie said...

I just love your blog. I love the way you share your family.

P.S. - I really am thankful. There are so many with much less. I'm thankful for everything.