Friday, November 21, 2008

The Lord Giveth...and The Lord Taketh Away!

The Lord giveth...I've recently blogged about the loss of 3 of our 4 cats, all within an 8 day period. Brillo had his spined snapped by the dog, Frisk was apparently hit by a car, and Shadow disappeared...The Lord taketh away.

We've explored possibilities of where Shadow may have run off to. We say that he "ran off", so as to avoid an ugly scene with Savannah, who could much better handle her cat running off to a house where he could stay indoors, than she could if he had been maimed somehow. So...Shadow has run off and is living "high on the hog" in our minds!

In pondering this, we never really thought that he might go to our neighbors across the pasture. That's a little too far to travel for Shadow, so we've assumed that he would cross the road to get to the "greener pasture".

One night a couple of weeks ago, I was sitting here playing on Ebay, when my husband hollared out to me from the garage.

"Hey Carmen!"

"Yep?"

"I found Shadow, but I didn't find him" he says.

"So what does that mean?" I ask.

"Well...I was out at the barn and picked up this cat...and it looks identical to Shadow, but I don't think it's Shadow."

"Okay...let me take a look" I say.

"If I can get him!" Dean says, "He just ran under the truck"

So after dragging the cat out from under the truck, I began to giggle. When I sat the cat down, I started laughing. This cat DID look identical to Shadow, but he was obviously smaller, and his demeanor was NOT like Shadow's. After confirming to my darling husband that this was indeed NOT Shadow, we got a good laugh! Poor Daddy was trying to find Savannah's cat for her.

When Savannah came out to check the cat out in the garage, she looked at it for a minute, turned, and ran back into the house crying!

So much for poor 'ole Daddy trying to be helpful!!!

All I could do was horse-laugh!!!!

Dean took the cat back outside (in the pooring rain, mind you), where it "escaped" from his hands at the gate. We've not seen it since. And we've not found Shadow, either.

The Lord giveth...I'm ready to get rid of the one last cat that we've managed not to "lose". It stays under my feet everytime I step out of the door. And it always tries to run into the house. I hate that. Maybe Honey will go off and find Shadow. And stay out of my hair!

In the mean-time, Daddy can look all he wants to.


But sometimes you gotta be glad when The Lord taketh away!

No comments: