Monday, August 4, 2008

Zucchini Bread

Years ago, when we lived in Charlotte, I had the MOTHER of all neighbors. And no, I'm not picking up bad language to add to my hick vocabulary! Shelley was/is truly a remarkable woman. She would make all kinds of suggestions for me as a homemaker and a mom...all very much appreciated, considering that her children were older than mine (except for Joshua...he & Tyler were the same age). She and her family lived a frugal but comfortable life. I always admired them. A simple life.God wants us to live a simple life, because if we don't...
we'll miss the most valuable experiences in life.

A life spent helping others and bringing glory to God. A life full of habitually taking what God blessed them with and stretching it to gain the most from those blessings that they could. They lived that way. Can you imagine living in such a way that new cars and fancy new homes just didn't matter? Can you imagine opening your home and sharing those blessings on a regular basis? Mr. Jon had a decent job, but Shelley was a stay at home Mom, raising four kids and even homeschooling them. Their pennies had to stretch quite a ways, sometimes, but they actively served God at every opportunity, and were so thankful for what He gave them.

The thing I'll always remember about Shelley is her friendship bread. She would tell me to just try baking some bread and freezing it to enjoy during the winter season. The last thing she ever gave me was a loaf of friendship bread, as we pulled out from our beloved neighborhood in Charlotte for the last time...headed for the Tennessee hills. She didn't just bless me with friendship bread, she blessed me with her friendship. Acceptance and understanding. And let me tell you that those things are far more precious than a girls night out! Don't get me wrong...girls night outs are fun. In fact, some of the most fun I've experienced have been participating in dinners, etc, with girlfriends. But when it comes right down to it, the relationship, and the time spent being "real" with others is what life is all about. It's where we grow and learn. It's where we experience the Lord's arms wrapping around us when we so desperately need it. It's where we're reminded of the hope that Christ brings us.
With Shelley and her family on my mind, I've decided to start taking some of those suggestions that she made so many years ago. Zucchini bread is a favorite at our house! It's yummy and it makes us feel good...a warm piece of zucchini bread with milk. Maybe someday I'll venture over to friendship bread.

As God has pulled me into a simplier lifestyle, I've learned to appreciate even more, the treasure that's found in being caught up in your family and leading a life that is simply God's doing. That's not to say that I'm never tempted to be caught up in the things of this world. I guess I'll always be "The Ebay Queen"!!!!! But I've learned that there really isn't anything more valuable than to be at home with your family...loving, teaching, leading...living with the ones that God has blessed you with. It's actually there that you find your closest friendships...your best times...your most favorite memories.

And my most favorite memories are of being at home together. Whether just with my parents and brother, or out on the screened porch of my Ma's house...eating cheese & crackers with my Pa.

We're now making memories by sharing Zucchini bread.

Slather it with butter and inhale it! My family will be thrilled when they get home to discover...

that I've got some in the oven right now!
.
.
.
Pull up a chair on the porch, eat your hot bread, and watch as the kitties and the kids chase fireflies.

No comments: