Friday, August 15, 2008

You Really CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks!

God blew my mind again tonight.

I'm the "old dog". And I discovered a "new trick".

For months, Dean has been praying about purchasing a new SUV. He's had it figured that once the gas prices got bad enough, all those people who own an SUV, but don't really need one, will start getting rid of them. So the people (like us!) who DO really need the space (but don't want to go the van route OR the passenger van route), would be able to snap up a good SUV at an even better price. Sounds great, huh? So all this time, I've been like..."If we have to do this, then of course it has to be another GMC/Chevy". God has SO blessed us with the one we have now, and I don't want to turn it loose, and God isn't calling me to do that, anyway.

Last week, as Dean was cruising on craigslist.com, he became interested in the Ford Excursion. Okay...like...they aren't even MAKING those anymore. Probably because nobody could drive them! They're MONSTERS, for sure!!! I'm saying to my wonderful Man,

"Honey...that's not a Suburban...", to which he replies back to me with,

"I know...but this is what Daddy wants!".

To say I'm not a Ford fan is just not true. But we've had so much success with this Suburban, and have been so blessed with it, that it would only be natural to want another one like it!

HE says, "Daddy wants to be comfortable".

I say, "What's wrong with what we have?".

HE says, "Other than it has nearly 200,000 miles on it...".

Okay...I get your point, my man.

So back to the praying for months.

My Man went before the throne boldly. He believed...and why not? God has never failed us. In fact...God promises that He's always with us and will never fail us. My Man got real specific in his prayers for the SUV. He told God that he'd like a white one with tan leather interior and low miles, and even asked for one in a certain price range. Didn't care about the age of the SUV...just the above mentioned.

Now back to last week...

He's cruising through craigslist, when he comes upon this:

"2000 Ford Excursion Limited, 4 WD, V-10 (Gas) 58,000 miles garage kept. Has rear A/C, third row seating, leather seats, tow package, service records, new front rotors and pads. The vehicle is in great shape and needs nothing. Truck still has 2 years and 30,000 miles left on bumper to bumper extended warranty", and it was in our price range!

After praying for another day or 2, Dean contacts the owner and drives the truck home. And after many more prayers and a lot of talking, we purchased the SUV. We brought it home tonight. It truly is a very nice vehicle! Has a lot of "bells and whistles". It's the vehicle we will use when we ALL go somewhere...church, trips, dinner, etc.

We took it for a ride, upon which, I got car sick...like I said, the thing is a MONSTER and it kind of floats. I remember the Suburban did that when we first purchased it, so I know I'll just have to adjust to the ride. We haven't purchased a vehicle in 9 years.

So after coming home from our "excursion"...pardon the pun...and getting the kiddies in the bed, etc...I started working on some dishes in the sink and Dean sat at the table to eat a bite. Then he looks at me and says, "I know we just bought that truck, but I'm really not all that excited about it". And I replied,

"That's because it's just a truck. God just provided a need for our family...

THAT'S the exciting part!"

He totally agreed.

And that's when God blew my mind. Like He hasn't blessed us enough by providing ALL of our needs...and then some! He LOVES to blow our minds!!!

Here's what He said to me...the new trick...

Your excitement...your joy,
should come from the fact
that God has provided a need,
instead of it coming from
what He provided the need with.
.
We tend to get REAL excited when God blesses us, don't we? But are we more excited about the WHAT or the fact that God chose to bless us at all?

So am I the only one who thinks that is the coolest thing? Actually, what's so cool is that God speaks to us...that He cares about us...that He chooses to bless us because He loves us.

So now we can drive to Rock Hill, SC next weekend to attend Dean's brother's wedding (GO MICHAEL!!!!), in a much roomier SUV that has way less miles on it than my 'ole Suburban. And like my 'ole Suburban, the best thing about this Ford Excursion is the fact that God hand picked it for us!!!

And He taught this 'ole dog a new trick, to boot!!!!!!

No comments: