Thursday, August 14, 2008

My Tween versus My OCD

When I was a kid, and my brother was much younger, he would sing a song that he learned off of a commercial entitled, "Am I Blue?". Today is one of those days that I'm thinking about that song...

"Am I Bllluuuuueeeee?", "Am I Bllluuuueee?",
"I'm so blllluuuuuuueeeeee..."

I don't know if I feel blue today, but I definitely am frustrated. And I have a question for God.

Why, Lord, did you have to
create a "tween" stage?

I mean, like changing poopy diapers for 3 years PER child wasn't enough. Ummm...so far that's 15 years worth of stinking diapers. Or wiping snotty noses...wiping off the shoelace slobber hanging from my 20 mos old's chin. Like the terrible two's (or the three's in my house!) weren't terrible enough! As if finding curdled milk cups underneath the furniture or in a plant wasn't enough to upset my stomach! Like finding a royal pile of stinky brown stuff on the carpet, and discovering my 2 yr old had ripped off her diaper...like that wasn't feeding my OCD!!!!!

PREACH IT, SISTER!!!

My OCD is acting up something terrible today. I'm ready to throw my tween's stuff...and I mean ALL OF IT...out in the barn. Can't throw it out in the yard, because it would be out of place, and we certainly can't have that!!!

Seriously...

What harm could possibly come from Summerlyn having her room in the barn? It stinks out there, but her feet stink anyway. I think for the most part, the chickens, sheep, and pigs all sleep at night...so she'd get her tween sleep. She could make a huge mess out there and I'd never even have to see it! And she'd even have an alarm...the 2 roosters out there crow so loud, we can hear them at the house! No problem with her getting up on time...or maybe even a little bit early. She could breeze into the house, while we're all still sleeping and get ready. No fuss. Because I would have taped her mouth shut with electrical tape before I threw her out in the barn.

Summerlyn is SO particular, it makes my OCD look like NOTHING. As if straightening my couch pillows at least 10 times a day is ridiculous (that one's for you, Sherry)...or sweeping the kitchen floor about 3 times a day is excessive...did I mention my Dyson? You DON'T want to go there!!!

How about "I can't wear this because it's not comfortable"...when you just wore it 32 times in the past 3 months? Or "Mom, you said they had to ask before coming in my room!", when the one sister invites herself into THEIR room on a regular basis! Or..."Mom, help me find something to wear to school!!!", but sister disses all 67 outfits you pick out of her stuff for her to wear. Sister needs to go live in the barn. I've had it! "Take your kitties with you", I'd tell her. "You can take food and drinks with you, too!"...and that's a BIG bargain considering that NOT ONE CRUMB, much less a drink, better come out of my kitchen/dining room! And sister! If you want a REAL adventure, you can bath in the sheep's water, which is in the huge old bathtub right beside the barn! Utter privacy, if you don't mind 22 animals watching you!!!!

Okay...I know I'm ranting. I can't help it. I think my medicine is NOT working today. WHERE is my DR????? I just want to lay down in my bed and scratch like a dog.

In Isaiah 55:8, God says, "...your ways are not My ways."

That's really good news for my tween! It's also good news for me. And good news for you. If I was walking MY way with this situation, I'd probably make Summerlyn ride naked to school and back home, and that might cure her not being able to choose from those 67 outfits! My grace would be shown of course, in the fact that I didn't make her get out of the Suburban while being naked.

I don't understand how God doesn't kick us out in the barn sometimes. Well...He does allow that sometimes. But when we are truly sorry for our sorry-ness, He waits with open arms. I, on the other hand, could totally get used to Sum-Sum living out in the barn until her 25th birthday, I think.

Wonder if God ever thinks that about me? Surely He must grow weary of trying to teach me the same things over and over again. At the very least, He must be up to His eyeballs in ME focusing on ME all the time. Yes, I thank God that His ways are not mine.

'Cause I'd be in jail.
And Summerlyn would be in the barn.

No comments: