Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Making Changes

Last Friday afternoon, I felt the need to sit down and talk with Dean about splitting the girls room into 2 rooms. I'm not sure where that urgent prompting came from. You might say that it was a challenging day with the girls, which would explain that. But it wasn't really...challenging, that is. True, I could name numerous days when that explanation would fit. But not necessarily last Friday.

So we talked, and Dean committed to putting up the wall, cutting the door, and removing one of the closets.

Then came trouble...literally...when Tyler got home and brought the action with him (see previous posts).

Then came an incredible peace about our room project. God's timing.

So Saturday morning, we were ready when I found an unbeatable deal on craigslist, for 2 twin beds w/all bedding (a few pieces are custom), all box spring & mattresses, a huge dresser, nightstand, and desk. A set, I might add, that came from one of those gorgeous million-dollar neighborhoods out West. So we knew it would be well taken care of. After contacting the number and finding that it was still available (she had posted it only hours earlier), we made an appointment to see it. We were not disappointed! The furniture is beautiful and just perfect for my Summerlyn!! The home we purchased it from is only a fraction as beautiful as the owners...Godly people who were an absolute joy to meet! God's timing.

It's kind of funny...when it's time to make changes, it's our human nature to fight those changes. Tooth and nail, in some cases. We fight change. Why is change so scary? ANY type of change. Like...my kids can freak out if Luke's diaper needs a change. And won't it benefit ALL of us if the poopie diaper is changed to a clean one? HELLO!!!! Yes!!!! Okay...how about changing which direction I vaccuum? I know...this one is serious-HA! If I change the direction in which I vaccuum, it actually helps the carpet stand up and look better. How about changing the way we eat? Even though raw carrots dipped in ranch dressing isn't nearly as appealing as a big 'ole slice of fresh homemade peach pie, it WOULD benefit us to choose the carrots over the pie, except on rare occassion. Do you get my point? Even though the benefits are nicer and the end result is better in most cases, we still fight change. Now, I know that not all change is good. But the value of change in and of itself is incredible!

That brings me back to Tyler.

He was less than thrilled to learn that his room would soon be a lot smaller. But considering all that is going on in his young life at this time, I'm not really concerned about that. I told Dean that our project was going to benefit Tyler more than anyone.

Humility and change will do that to a person. Actually...God will.

No comments: