Saturday, July 19, 2008

Impossible

Some days I don't feel restored. Some days I just feel frustrated and discouraged.

It's interesting how the day can be going fine...relaxing, slow moving, accomplishing a lot...and then BAM!..."fine" is over.

Yesterday was one such day.

The hardest thing about yesterday was having to referee the girls. That's usually a daily event, so I'm used to it. It doesn't ruin my day, most days. The hardest thing, that is, until approximately 6:30pm.

That's when my 17 year old son got home from a week at youth camp. He brought a little bit of action with him. Actually, a lot of action.

My husband and I had spent the week trying to work out the minor accident that Tyler had caused at the end of our driveway 7 days ago. Minor, if you don't mind calling $3300.00 worth of damage to the OTHER PERSON'S vehicle, minor. Dean thought he had it figured out. It was possible for Tyler to keep driving while paying his own insurance. Because we drive older vehicles, and because we only have 2 vehicles listed, it was possible.

The action Tyler brought home with him made that possibility an impossibility.

Does that ever happen to you? You're strolling along in life and for all your efforts, you are handed an impossibility.

"For nothing is impossible with God"...Sound familiar? It's from Luke 1. Ummm...what that indicates is that my impossibilites are God's possibilities.

Back to the action.

As I was cleaning out my office area/mudroom, I noticed Tyler angrily walking toward the house. I immediately went outside and asked him what was wrong, but he would not say. In fact, all he would say was "stay here". Riiiiiiigggghhhhhttttt. Those of you who know me, know that his "directions" went in one ear and out the other. I followed him as he headed back across the yard to the neighbors driveway. I followed him all the way to the crest of the neighbors driveway when I saw it.

Tyler had wrecked again.

He had pulled into the neighbors paved driveway, apparently a practice he undertook a while back, to enter into our parking area. The neighbor was coming down the driveway and hit Tyler almost fully head-on. Nobody was hurt. Not even the neighbor's 5 year old little boy. Impossibilities.

Luke was right when he wrote the God-inspired words, "Nothing is impossible with God." I've borne witness to that many times. But most things are impossible without God. Except totally and completing messing things up. That's entirely possible without God.

I would say that the insurance issues surrounding these 2 wrecks are impossible. God would say, "Nothing is impossible with Me". I would say that the issues surrounding my son's thinking in both situations is impossible. God would say, "Nothing is impossible with Me". Impossible defines itself to me as parenting, on certain days. God says, "Nothing is impossible with Me". And while I'm struggling to figure out the next step in making parent-like decisions concerning Tyler's actions, I must remember that the word "impossible" doesn't exist in God's vocabulary. Oh He's aware of that word...we use it all the time. But He graciously chooses to offer us hope in every situation. Every circumstance. Therefore, He has graciously removed that word from His list of options.

That's a good thing for me.

That's a really good thing for Tyler.

No comments: