Monday, March 16, 2009

It's Raining...

Remember that old song, "It's raining...on prom night..."? Well...I'm singing that song in a different version.

It's raining...on the first day...of Spring Break 2009.
I might go...nuts before...we get to bedtime...

That's right! We're spending the first official day of Spring Break this year INSIDE. While outside, the grass, trees, and new little blooms are playing in the cool early spring rain...INSIDE...I've yelled at the kids more than once today, stayed in my pj's nearly all day long, and washed TONS of laundry. Not exactly a memorable spring break, so far.

In fact...it just seems like an ordinary day. Poor kids.

"Go pick a movie"
"Clean your room"
"Eat your food"
"Fold the towels"
"Watch your brother"
"Put your clothes on"
"NO!"
"You're TOO loud"
"You're getting on my LAST fried nerve!"
"Clean up your mess"

I confess. These are things my kids hear almost daily. But Spring Break is supposed to be different! Envision a sandy beach...no rain, and 80 degrees. The ocean is louder than the kids. The sun is warmer than Knoxville is right now. And the latest James Patterson novel is making my heart race as I sit in my beach chair, soaking in the words as well as the rays. Ahhhh...Spring Break as it was meant to be! Carefree...relaxing...dreamy.

Exactly how I could have it right now...if I kick the kids outside in the rain (baby included!), fill my tub up with hot water...grab the newest magazine I have (the JP novel is sitting at half.com waiting for me to order it)...and pour the luscious Sea Island Cotton bath gel onto my skin (for a yummy reminder of the beach)...and...soak.

Of course...I'll only get a few minutes before the little "sea urchins" come screaming back into the house...wet...cold...and no doubt, hungry...beach vision dissipated...Back to reality!

So I think I'll just make the most of today.

Imagine that!

"I have come that they may have life and have it in abundance."
Jesus says in John 10:10.

That doesn't change just because it's pouring rain outside! So making the most of today is exactly what Christ intends for us to do.

That might include spending a day at the beach...or spending a day painting toenails...

a day full of sea, sun, and sand...or a day full of pajamas and giggles...with an occasional 2 year old belly laugh thrown in...

'course, we could do that at that beach, too...

No comments: