Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Are You Chasing Anything?

There is...
so much on my mind today.
I barely know where to start.

I guess that's what happens when you go 2 weeks without blogging...as I've said many times...to blog is to attend a therapeutic class of some sort. Getting it all out feels good!

Demons.

We're all a little afraid to even read that word, huh?

But demons are a part of everyday life. One I absolutely hate and wish weren't there, but a part of it, all the same. Let's take a peek at what the dictionary defines the term "demons" as...

Yea, yea, we all know the first meaning, "an evil spirit". What about this one..."a source or agent of evil, harm, distress, or ruin"??? Ever heard the term "chasing my demons"
or "fighting my demons"? A day or two out of my life, I've felt as if I was "fighting my demons". In saying that, I speak specifically of fighting the source of harm and distress in my life. Not in my present stage of life, mind you. But far back in my past. My former stage of life. The one where I chose to disobey God. The one where I chose to take on sin that I would never be able to pay for.

That source can be presented to me in various ways. The one I've struggled with recently, are a couple of dreams.
Dreams of what happened THEN, coming back to happen NOW.

Interestingly enough, the past is the past, as far as God is concerned. In fact, He forgives us of all sin, as far as the East is from the West. That's infinity, folks. So we should never have to think about our previous bad choices again, right?

Wrong.

Ever heard of consequences? Those can be tough to deal with. Especially when the devil uses them against us. Those consequences become our demons. And the devil presents them to us in a haunting way. Ah! But I do have hope!!!

It's all in our minds!!!
Does that sound hopeful? Seriously. The battle is in our minds. When God says that He forgives you as far as the East is from the West...He means it. He will NEVER bring up old sin to remind us of why we fight certain demons.

Guess who does that?

The devil.

So how do we battle the thoughts that run through our mind? It's simply, actually. We saturate our minds with His truth. We study His Word. We ask Him to recondition our minds to look forward and not back. We recognize that when our "demons" start chipping away at His truth, that those demons come from the master of demonics himself...Satan. We recognize the fact that the devil is trying to mess with us yet again. Only then, can we put the devil in his place. We can remind the devil that he has absolutely NO authority in our lives. That the WAR has already been won. And that...

he loses.

PRAISE GOD!!!

We can then choose to believe the devil, who roams the Earth in defeat, or believe our God, Who created the universe AND us, and Who has all the answers to life. That same God Who has already defeated the enemy.

Your choice is to fight your demons...or

let God fight them.

He's already won. Those demons have already been conquered. They have failed. And now...

It's up to you to trust God or wallow in the pain & failure that consequences may bring.

Wouldn't you rather focus on how gracious He is in our failures?

Demons...Schmemons...

No comments: