Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve

I wonder...

What did Mary think about giving birth to The King of Kings in a stable? Laying her precious package in a feeding trough? And having strangers witness Jesus first night on this planet?



Christmas Eve.


She, like every other mother, knew that the time was near for Jesus to be born. She felt the pain. She went through the labor that would bring our Savior into this world on Christmas Day.

Did she wonder why God chose for Jesus birth to be so...ordinary? Did she stress over being the "perfect mom" to our perfect Lord?

I wonder!

The Bible doesn't tell us how Mary felt. But I've always imagined that she was scared and excited at the same time. Much the way I've felt with each of my own children. She had God-given motherly instinct, of course, but because of the holiness of this particular experience, and the nasty politics involved, it's my bet that she was a little bit afraid of what her family would endure because of this baby King.

And I bet she was overwhelmingly excited to be having a baby! A tiny baby boy for her to love and care for. I've been so excited with my babies...haven't you? Smelling them...holding them...loving on them. Mary was excited, too!

I wonder today, if YOU are excited. Are you excited to be celebrating the birth of Christ? Do you get excited thinking about the enormous gift of love that God gave us in this special birth? God sent Jesus in the flesh...to live as we live. And to die as the perfect Sacrifice to end all sacrifices. That's how much our God loves us. That He would give His only Son to die in our place. To take the blame for our short-comings and ugliness. To pay the ultimate price for the sin that separates us from our Creator. God WANTS us to be with Him. God WANTS us.

I am so thankful for my God! He wants me! And He is so perfect!!! He will not allow sin of any kind into His heaven. So He sent Jesus to pay the penalty for my sin, so I can be with Him when I pass out of this life. Because of Jesus, I can be with God. Because Jesus paid. Because Jesus was born.


Happy Christmas Eve!


Remember to thank God for His gift today!

Remember Mary...Joseph...Jesus...God.

Jesus is the ultimate gift. The Gift of a life-time! Wrapped in swaddling clothes. Waiting to be unwrapped.

No peeking until tomorrow!!!!

No comments: