Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Friendships

I am currently walking through a tough experience with one of my daughters. I have an important question...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
At what point in a friendship do you give your friend the benefit of the doubt?

For every person in existence, a different expectation of friendship is known. Some people are in friendships where one loves the other more. Some friendships are equal. Some friendships are not. And some friendships aren't really friendships. What does God say about friendships? In Genesis, we learn how Judah's friend Hirah, was with him during the grieving time after Judah's wife died. Ah...so friends comfort us during tough times. Okay. In Exodus, we see that when the Lord spoke to Moses, it was face to face. So friends speak openly and are able to see and understand what each other says. They aren't misunderstood. Hmmm... In Judges, we read the account of someone talking to his friend about a dream he had...and expecting that friend to give him clear perspective on what God may have meant when He sent the dream. Shouldn't we be supporting our friends with what we know is God's perspective? Hint, hint...it's found in the Bible and you can know it well through Bible Study! It would take 47 million blogs to enter in all the truths that God has in His Word concerning friendships. There are just a few truths that I want to point out on this matter. True Friendships Should Always... ~Be a comfort during tough times. ~Be free from having to analyze what each others intentions are, giving the benefit of the doubt to each other, choosing to believe the best instead of assuming the worst. ~Point each other to Christ, encouraging the exploration of what God's perspective is and what He says in His Word concerning the various situations that arise (because man's perspective is flawed!). Why are these basic rules of friendship so incredibly hard to grasp?

I've struggled with these issues myself for years. Why would a friend NOT give you the benefit of the doubt? Why does a true friendship struggle so much with believing that it's participants have pure intentions and an honest heart? Why would a Godly friend choose to be irritated and frustrated instead of seeking God's face when considering a friendship? And yes, I know that people get burned in relationships...it's like a viscious cycle...but... Friendship should not be that hard. Especially amongst children.
How complicated can sharing gum and lip gloss possibly be?!!??
The complications boggle my mind and fry what's left of my brain. It's simply ridiculous. And as the world turns, it only grows more impossible. So let me say this to anyone in danger of stumbling across my blog today...
Friends care enough about each other to ask before assuming.
THEN, they care enough about each other to
trust the response instead of misjudging the intentions. And then they forgive if a mistake is made, and move on.
Sounds too simple to be true. Ask Trust Forgive And those are words from the 2nd grade vocabulary list. A vocabulary list is not just spelling, either. It also requires definition. Know what I mean?

2 comments:

Connie said...

I love and value our friendship. I think you know that already. Every time I pass Dixie Stampede I say to whomever I'm with, "I've been there once." My life is a little more blessed since Summerlyn's sixth birthday party.

Mrs. Jones said...

And I value it as well, Connie. I am not able to ever repay you for the difference you've made in the life of our family.